Thursday, April 11, 2019

windows 8 - The relationship between commit charge, standby lists and available physical memory?

Saw this thread but I believe it does not fully answer my question so here goes. I am on Windows 8 Enterprise, 4 Gb RAM on board, pagefile enabled. I am looking at my performance indicators and I see that current commit charge is 4.14 Gb while the amount of used physical memory is 2.43 Gb plus another 919 Mb are used for standby (i.e. the file cache etc.)




But why is it so? If I understand the notion of commit charge correctly, it basically means the current demand for RAM from all the running apps and services. Then, it looks completely obscure to me why would Windows allocate that much memory for the cache, at the same time forcing a part of the running apps to be swapped out to the pagefile? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to purge the most of the cache to give the running apps as much RAM as possible and re-fill the cache as soon as more free RAM becomes available?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...