Saturday, April 20, 2019

hard drive - How to shrink Windows 7 boot partition with 0 available shrink space

I'm trying to shrink a partition that has 140GB of 210GB free. I followed the suggestions here: How to shrink Windows 7 boot partition with unmovable files (defragged, turned of restore, recovery, etc) and managed to get about 30GB worth. But now I'm stuck. I can't shrink any further, but it doesn't report any unmovable files. The query runs, and I get an event in the log with ID 258 saying "The disk defragmenter successfully completed shrink estimation on (C:)".


Any suggestions? I'm open to using a third party tool as long as its free. I also have a ubuntu system setup that I could use, though I've read some horror stories about parted making the windows drive unbootable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...