Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Vista PC - Continually losing space on my C Drive


I am having a problem with my C Drive as it continually loses free space. I keep backing up and deleting files, but the easy ones are all off (those folders that are 100 MB and larger that can be easily moved or backupped and deleted from the C).


I did free up the 100 GB drive to 8 GB, but a couple of weeks later it was down to 4 GB. I searched for new or modified files in that time, but there was no substantial files (bigger than 1 MB). So I am not sure why I am increasing usage / losing free space.


I used http://windirstat.info/ to find out where my disk space is has gone, but could not see any change either.


I have norton anti-virus, but it hasn't found anything.


I thought maybe it had something to do with the two large .sys files, but with 3 GB of RAM, my friend tells me the sizes of my hiberfil.sys (3.15 GB) and pagefile.sys (3.45 GB) are appropriate.


I have also tried defragmenting. For some reason, this made it worse. Recently I removed files to go from 3 GB free space back up to 5 GB. In that time though, the free space dropped to 4.6 GB. Then when I ran the defragment tool on Vista, the free space went down to 2 GB!


Any suggestions?


(Side question - the only other thing I can find to delete of considerable size is .cab files in the C:\Windows\SWSetup. It seems they are tied to programs. Can I deletes these files, especially if they are all older than 2 years old?)


Answer



You may (as in likely) have system restore points enabled. You can clean those up, and put a maximum on the volume used for restore points


Here is one guid on how to do that: http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to-reduce-disk-space-used-by-windows-vista-system-restore.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...