Saturday, April 20, 2019

Windows 8 High System Memory Usage

My problem seems simple. My computer is using more physical memory than is actually accounted for in the sum of my programs.


!(Running windows 8.1, latest patches)


What windows reports my total usage as


What the total system usage is


I use 7.5 GB. Total usage is 12GB. The Delta is 4.5 GB. This is something I'd consider very high.


Most of the posts I've found on this site relate to driver memory leaks affecting the 'paged pool' and the 'non paged pool' creating high usage. However my pages + nonpaged pool is around 650MB, which I understand isn't far above 'normal', and shouldn't cause this 4.5GB delta. To further investigate this, I even ran poolmon.exe and found no such leaky drivers when I sorted by usage.


Poolmon screenshot


So my question is simply: what gives? Where art thou memory?


Update:


A kind user referred me to the program rammap, which gives more detailed descriptions of memory allocation. Upon running it, I discovered that 2GB of memory in the 'in use' section was allocated for 'Mapped Files', which I presume is disk caching. Upon going to the 'physical pages' tab and sorting by said files, I learned that a lot of the active mapped files were files in use by a torrent application hosting large datafiles. Terminating the application freed 1.2GB of disk caching into 'standby', thus giving the screenshot you can see below.


Rammap


The the 'delta', has dropped to 3.2 GB, which is getting closer to what I'd consider normal but is still on the high side, though if you subtract the remainder of the 'mapped file' 800MB, you end up with 2.4GB, which could be simply explained away by the count listed in Users in the task manager being incorrect.


With this information, now I'm not so sure. Is this just me not understanding memory accounting? Is the 'shareable' section in the table actually used by user programs and just not accounted for in the user's space in the task manager? If so then this issue would be a mixture of me not knowing disk caching can count under 'In Use'/'Active' memory and that the User's tab in the task manager is inaccurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...