Tuesday, April 9, 2019

windows 8 - Computer freezes when watching videos on YouTube and on startup

I am running Windows 8 and for the first few months everything was fine. Then I changed PC cases and all of a sudden, when I attempt to watch a YouTube video or try to do something (such as opening Windows Media Player and trying to play a song) before the start-up procedure has loaded everything and finished , the computer freezes. But its a freeze that freezes absolutely everything. The mouse won't work, you cannot Ctrl + Alt + Delete, nothing. However, sometimes about 10 seconds or less after it has frozen, it will continue to work again. Strange. . .


The weird thing is how inconsistent it is. Some times the computer will not freeze even if you start doing things immediately. Sometimes it will freeze even if you don't do anything.


So I am quite sure that that it is a hardware problem due to it starting after the change in case. But the question is what hardware is causing this? Graphics card drivers are up to date, so that rules out the only software I can think it would be. It is worth mentioning that I do get a message telling me that there might be a problem with the hard drive, but this is because it is old and it had a tendency to over heat, which was the reason for the case change. Another thing worth noting is that no message appears in the event log whatsoever pertaining to the moment it freezes, or before that. Just a message warning me about the hard reset, which is the only way to get the computer to work again.


Any suggestions as to what is causing the problem or how to fix it would be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...