Tuesday, February 26, 2019

windows 8 - Win7 --> Win8 = Bitlocker won't ask for password



I have a Dell E6520 laptop with a TPM. It had Windows 7 Enterprise x64. The C (boot) partition is encrypted with Bitlocker. Bitlocker would prompt me for a password after POST, and after I entered the password, the OS booted.



I installed Windows 8 x64 Enterprise by inserting the DVD while Windows 7 was running, and I used the option that shoved all my current stuff over into a c:\windows.old directory. Before the installation started, I suspended Bitlocker.



After the Windows 8 installation was done, I resumed Bitlocker. Now I do not get a Bitlocker password prompt after POST. The computer does POST, pauses a couple of seconds, then reboots, cycling endlessly. I can only get around this by inserting a USB stick with my Bitlocker recovery key.



I then unencrypted and re-encrypted the C drive. I cleared the TPM before I re-encrypted.




During Bitlocker setup, I was never prompted to enter a password or to select an option other than to back up my encryption key. I am still stuck in the state where if I don't have a USB drive handy with the recovery key, I cannot boot the computer as it simply reboots right after POST.



I set an owner password set on the TPM after the Bitlocker encryption was done.



How do I restore the functionality I had with Windows 7, where instead of needing a physical USB key, I could just enter a Bootlocker password to boot the OS?


Answer



It turns out it was related to the group policy settings for the domain I was on. The group policy settings that caused Windows 7 to force a password every time you turned on the laptop did not for for Windows 8.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...