Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Does Windows 10 use the same key when installed with a Win8 key?

Long story short, I helped a friend build a PC a year ago and now we need to reinstall Windows. Originally, he bought a Windows 8.1 Pro license, and I installed Windows 10 with the 8.1 key, (did NOT upgrade).


But now, when reinstalling, he was wondering if I could install 8 instead of 10. However, he can't find the COA and Win8 disc.


So the question is, if I use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder or some similar tool, will the key it reports for the Win10 installation be the same as what we originally input, or is it different due to how the digital entitlement thing works?


I ask because I know if you upgrade to Win10 everybody gets the same generic key...

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...