Sunday, February 24, 2019

usb - Need help identifying the type of cable used in my external portable hard drive



I purchased my Seagate external hard drive about 4 years ago. Recently I have started experiencing problems with the provided USB cable. So I am guessing it is time to replace it.

However I am just overwhelmed with the type of USB cables out there.



I had no idea that this many types of USB cables are out there. Doing some research on the inscrption on the back of my hard drive and based on several images on the internet, my conclusion is it is a "USB 2.0 female to mini USB 2.0 female cable". Only problem is google returns no exact matches for this type of cable.



The inscription on the back of my hard drive is below:



Company:   Seagate
Type : Expansion Portable Drive
P/N : 9SD2A4-500
S/N : 2GH50JSN

Capacity: 500 GB


Now based on some googling using the P/N, I came to the conclusion that it is a "USB 2.0 to mini USB 2.0". Only problem is there aren't any female to female USB cables. My understanding about male/female in USB is, if the USB slot in the cable had pins, it is male, else it is female. Based on this understanding I concluded both are female slots.
Could somebody point out which cable I should be buying?


Answer



After reading the comments posted here and the wiki article for USB, I have finally found what I need to buy - USB Type A plug to Mini USB Type B plug. To be safe, I have ordered a dual "Y" cable to draw extra power for my Hard drive.
Here is an image of what I ordered: http://www.acp.ca/images/313265.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...