Saturday, February 2, 2019

compression - How can I compress a large file on an already-full disk?

I have a full disk containing a large file that I want to compress to free up space. Most compression programs require me to have enough free space on the disk to store the compressed file alongside the original file. Although gzip deletes the original file upon completion, it doesn't do that until after the compressed file has been written. How can I perform the compression in-place, truncating the original file along the way?



I don't want to make a RAM disk to temporarily store the whole compressed file because that's a bunch of extra steps and because the compressed file might be larger than my available memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...