Sunday, September 30, 2018

Windows can’t find hard disk drive after hard resets but drive works via a USB enclosure

The drive in question is a 3TB SATA Seagate (ST3000DM001-9YN166; Firmware: CC4H) hard disk drive and my system is Windows 7 64-bit.


I had some GPU trouble a while back and required to hard-reset a few times because video output would freeze; driver updated a dying GPU killed it, tried getting helped, each time I “tried” a fix, I would need to hard-reset to get back into windows to try another driver version.


After giving up and removing the GPU and returning to Windows, one of my drives disappeared.


I’ve tried TestDisk and Diskpart, neither can even see the drive.


I have it running on my external USB enclosure, one of the partitions of 4 became RAW. I’ve since formatted it and left it as unallocated under the assumption theres most likely a bad sector in that region.


I’ve tried putting the drive back into my PC and it still cannot be seen by Windows.


Any suggestions as to why the drive is not recognized when connected to the PC via SATA but works fine in an external USB 3.0 enclosure?
One of the partitions is a main data drive letter so I'm constantly writing/reading from it, its working right now in the enclosure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...