Friday, September 28, 2018

windows 7 - svchost eating up memory


I'm running Windows 7. It seems that svchost is eating up a lot of memory.


The user name for the particular svchost instance is "Network Service". The description is "Host Process for Windows Services".


Sometimes it eats up 50% of the CPU usage. Other times, it's just under 5%. I can't figure out when it's 50% and when it's not. But it fluctuates often -- even when I've just booted up and no programs were started.


How do I diagnose this?


Answer



SVC Host is made up of many services running on your machine. I recommend you either right click on it and choose "View Services" to see what is actually causing it (after choosing show processes from all users).


alt text


You can also use Microsoft / Sysinternals Process Explorer which should show you in more detail what is happening.


alt text


(Hovering mouse over the svchost.exe process in Process Explorer)


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...