Friday, September 21, 2018

After Windows 1709 update (Fall Creators Update), there are "corrupt files not fixed" when running sfc /scannow

I have run sfc /scannow periodically ever since getting this laptop in March, and it never comes up with any errors. However, after the latest 1709 update (Fall Creators Edition) of Windows installed, I have been getting the message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them..." I was also having problems with the mouse and keyboard being completely unresponsive at times (I discovered that closing the lid and putting it to sleep, and then opening the lid again and waking it up made the mouse and keyboard return to normal), and also a blue screen - both problems that I had not had before the 1709 update.


I decided to re-install Windows, but I was concerned about losing some programs that came with the computer that weren't Windows programs, and therefore would be lost with a Windows re-installation (like the program that controls the backlight colors, which is nice). So I did a "Reset this PC" instead, but after doing so, I found that the "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them..." error message was still there upon running sfc /scannow.


I've tried a different method - using the Media Creation Tool to update, as opposed to installing the update through Windows Update (which is what resulted in all the problems starting in the first place), but the same error appears when running sfc /scannow.


I tried a different method, going back to a back-up I made using AOMEI Backupper a few months ago (July), which was still under the 1703 update. After reverting to that disk backup, I then did the "Reset" again and then ran sfc /scannow - and it showed that no errors were found. However, I realized that the "Reset" resulted in a "clean" version of the 1703 update - not the 1709 update - being installed. So then I tried using the Windows10Upgrade9252.exe that I downloaded from the Microsoft website which installs the 1709 update itself, instead of using Windows Update or the Media Creation Tool (which had both resulted in the sfc /scannow error message). Again, after the 1709 update finished installing, the same error message appeared in sfc /scannow.


I've tried running "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth", "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth", and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" - and then running sfc /scannow again, but it's still the same error message. I've tried running sfc /scannow in Safe Mode, but it's the same error message.


I see that others have also had problems after the 1709 update installed on their computers, but I don't think I've found any solution that applies to my particular problem. I don't know if this sfc /scannow error message is happening for everyone who installs the 1709 update, or if it's just me. Perhaps it's an issue with a new Windows build that they will fix eventually?


If anyone has any ideas on how to fix this problem - or if anyone can tell me whether this is "normal" to have this error message - I would greatly appreciate it.


Thank you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...