Friday, September 14, 2018

hard drive - Why I Get BSOD When Running From Cloned HDD Before Windows 7 Startup?

So I have cloned with XXClone my Intel 330i 120GB SSD to my older WD 250GB HDD which I decided to make fallback external drive and placed in 2.5" HDD USB 2.0 enclosure case:


HDD 2.5


Options


After choosing first option which was the only option available, the process completed successfully but after disabling main SSD and making cloned HDD main boot device and trying to boot into Windows from it, I've got BSOD and immediately system restarted. Not sure what could have gone wrong but prior to cloning I wanted to clone through DriveImage XML which clones using either Volume Locking and Volume Shadow Services and both failed because I was receiving error about failure to lock volume. Maybe such cloning requires these techniques to clone properly... Tried Unlocker to unlock and kill processes using volume to no avail in the end. I know there is CloneZilla but I wanted to stay farther from risk being affraid I won't boot from main SSD for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...