Friday, September 14, 2018

How can a laptop run fine on AC power but not on battery?


I have a 6 year old Asus K53SD laptop. Suddenly, yesterday the laptop won't start up. So, I removed battery and tried starting up on AC power only. It worked fine. Then, while on power and on running system, I tried to install battery back. And when the battery attached, the laptop shut down instantaneously. I don't understand what maybe the problem. As for the battery, there was no issue AT ALL (replaced last year).


Answer



Battery by definition is an array of cells. If any one it those cells fail, battery either dies or works in a faulty manner. Your laptop may detect this problem in POST stage and deliberately abort start up on battery power to safe guard your motherboard. Note that you can never really say "battery is alright" without having it tested by a professional.


TL;DR you may need a new battery


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...