Saturday, September 15, 2018

hard drive - Asus laptop clean install

The title might be a bit low on information but I couldn't make up my mind on how to explain the issue in one line.



I want to install a clean Windows 8.1 on my Asus laptop. Everything is ready to go, but I am currently stuck with doubt when going for the Custom Install option. I have to repartition my drives but there are currently 7 partitions showing (yes, 7!):




  1. System (100MB)

  2. Recovery (900MB)

  3. x (MSR, Reserved, 128MB


  4. OS (186GB)

  5. x (Recovery, 350MB)

  6. Data (258,3GB)

  7. Restore (20GB)



Some research showed that the MSR doesn't appear to hold any data required by the OS. The OS and Data partitions are also clear to me, one for the OS and one for other data. Restore seems to hold a copy of the OS incase you would want to reset back to factory.



My issue seems to lie with the two recovery and the system-partitions. Also, if the MSR is actually required or I haven't fully understood its meaning, what is this used for?




What is the purpose of each of these partitions and which are safe to be formatted and possibly deleted for the clean install?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...