Thursday, September 20, 2018

windows 10 - Can't resize NTFS partition



I'm cloning an old 1TB drive to a new 2TB drive. I've successfully managed to clone it, using ddrescue and SystemRescueCD, and can now boot into Windows on my new 2TB drive. However, the drive now has a 1TB partition and another TB of unallocated space. I'm trying to expand that partition to fill the drive.



First I tried Windows 10's partition manager, but the "expand volume" option is greyed out, since the volume is the C drive. Next, I tried booting onto my old 1TB drive and using the partition manager there, but I'm getting a blue screen that says "Your PC/Device needs to be repaired":



enter image description here



Nothing was wrong with this drive before, I just wanted to move to the bigger one. Not sure why this suddenly happened.




Anyway, third, I tried booting back into SystemRescueCD and using GParted, but it complains about bad sectors:



enter image description here



Its worth noting that the ddrescue command reported 8 kB of lost data in the clone, which may explain the bad sectors. But I'm not sure.



I've tried running chkdsk /f as suggested, but it made no difference.



So there's 3 questions here:





  1. How can I resize my partition to make use of the terrabyte of unused space on the new drive?

  2. Why is my brand new drive complaining of bad sectors? Did the bad sectors ddrescue encountered on the old drive somehow get copied to the new one? Or did I just get a bad drive from Amazon? Can the bad sectors be "repaired", or simply ignored somehow?

  3. Is there a way I can save my old drive, in case I need to reclone it? I have no idea how it got into this state. I was under the impression thatddrescue was just reading from it.


Answer



chkdsk /B c: is necessary to re-test the bad sectors so they can be cleared if they are working fine. After that Gparted should work just fine


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...