Sunday, September 30, 2018

windows 8 - Remapping keys without external software


It seems my keyboard keys do not match up to their actual outputs, it's a UK keyboard, with the UK language installed on the operating system. In this case Windows 8.


for example the AT key on the keyboard is actually " and the tilde is | .


I recognise the mismatch of the at symbols being out of line with American keyboards, so I have tried the US layout also but that was also incorrect to the standard key layout I have on my keyboard.


Maybe it's a driver issue with the keyboard?


Or if not, is there a way I can remap the keys without using an external program, I'd prefer to keep the number of boot programs to a minimal if possible.


Thanks!


Answer



The best tool for the job is Microsoft's own remapkey.exe, available as part of the Windows Resource Kit. (That link is for Windows 2003; I've used it successfully over the years on many versions of Windows, including Windows 7; have not tested Windows 8).


remapkey.exe will write the mapping directly into the registry, I believe, and does not require a running process. You simply drag from actual key to desired key, and save.


remapkey screenshot


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...