Wednesday, September 19, 2018

mac - Is "youtubeBRwatch.com.exe" a Virus?

I am running Norton AntiVirus on my MacBook Pro with OSX 10.6.7. Today (26 May 2011) Norton reported that the computer was infected with virus "youtubeBRwatch.com.exe," which it had "safely quarantined but could not repair."


I Googled "youtubeBRwatch" but can find only this reference. http://www.prevx.com/filenames/2159897571621317258-X1/YOUTUBEBRWATCH.COM.html
Previx claims to be a subsidiary of Webroot. That could be true, or it could be a malware site pushing fake cleaner software, and falsely claiming to be a subsidiary of Webroot, for all I know.


A search for youtubeBRwatch on the Norton website returned nothing.


What is youtubeBRwatch.com.exe? Is it really malware, or is this a false positive from Norton Antivirus?


I do see that youtubeBRwatch.com.exe shows up in my Downloads directory, which is highly suspicious since I certainly never requested to download such a file. Is this new malware that can somehow force a download by your browser through an attack against Flash or something?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...