Sunday, September 23, 2018

motherboard - Could other hardware be responsible for bad sectors on my hard drive?



I have a Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 motherboard. There is a single hard drive (a cheap Seagate Barracuda drive) attached to it over SATA3, and AHCI is enabled in the BIOS. Recently, the drive started to encounter lots and lots of bad sectors and the reallocated sector count reported by SMART shot up to huge numbers. That problem exhibited itself in spectacular fashion, where the OS would rarely boot even though everything on the drive was still readable, and every tool I threw at the problem agreed the drive was doomed.



The hard drive was replaced by warranty and I used ddrescue to directly copy the old one. However, I just ran a self-test on my replacement drive, which I have had for about two days, and it is reporting a single reallocated sector. Now, I know one reallocated sector isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'm worried to have bumped into this already after replacing a drive that failed for the same reason. Is it possible some other hardware is responsible for this?



(For what it's worth, the motherboard has failed me already, so I wouldn't mind blaming it and force-choking the thing to death).


Answer




You can try doing a full format. This will sometimes fix bad sectors. Also try http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html for some more information about your drive. A bad controller should not cause bad sectors but could corrupt data. Most likely they sent you a refurbished drive that also is defective.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...