Monday, September 17, 2018

Splitting an excel 2010 spreadsheet into multiple workbook files based on column value

I find and clean a lot of contact data, sorted by country, which I am currently using excel to manage. Mainly because it is easier to clean and manipulate the data I find this way, and I can easily share each country's data with my colleagues. Currently there are multiple workbooks organised by country (as we have about 280,000 contacts in total and having them in one workbook is unwieldy).


So the folder structure is


Argentina
Australia
Austria
etc...

Each containing a spreadsheet called


countryname.xlsx


I have another 'dashboard' spreadsheet reporting the totals from each individual workbook along with contact segmentation totals.


The format for the workbook is something along the lines of


Australia.xls


Country          Department      Name            Email               Telephone
Australia Finance John Doe test@test1.com 07..
Australia Admin Jane Doe test@test2.com 07..
Australia Sales Bill Pond test@test3.com 07..
etc...

There are about 28 column descriptors.


What I would like to happen is have one workbook, say:


Workinprogress.xlsx


And as I add data to this, it be automatically added to each country's workbook once saved, preserving all the columns. I can then wipe it and start fresh each day knowing the the data is being stored by country.


Is there any functionality that can do this automatically in Excel 2010, or will this require VBA (as I suspect it will)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...