Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Windows 7, SSD used space does not match total files space used


I have a 60GB SSD showing as 55GB in properties, installed with Windows 7 as c: drive.


I selected everything in C drive and went to properties and it says 37GB but when I right click on the C drive and go to properties it shows 48GB used.


I am trying to understand where the extra 11 GB is.


I have changed the page file settings, and changed it to use 512mb, putting the main page file on an HDD disk but this made no difference after a reboot.


I have also made sure the recycle bin is empty.


Can anyone suggest what might be consuming the missing space?


Answer



How much ram do you have?


Windows 7 creates a hibernation file on c:\ . For example, my hibernate is 3G and the pagefile is 4G.


There are a few other hidden windows files/folders that will not show up when you select all in c:


A tool like http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner will help you clean up worthless files off your windows drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...