Saturday, September 22, 2018

macos - Can't access Leopard (Mac Mini) from Snow Leopard (Macbook) - Remote Management & File Sharing



Solved - It was my router, that had some issues routing this traffic in between Wired & WiFi connections. When I switched both to WiFi, it worked right away.



Problem - Can't access Mac Mini's shared folders and screen via the Macbook




Problem Machine - Mac Mini running 10.5.8



Test Machine - MacBook running 10.6.7



This is an odd support request for me. I have never ever had this issue with my macs. Currently running Lion, Snow Leopard, Leopard on MBPs, MBs, Minis & a Hackintosh box as well. Everything has worked flawlessly forever.



However, I suddenly had to reformat a hard disk on my mac mini and I decided to try out Leopard (for reasons I forget & most likely will upgrade to SL tomorrow). Now I can't access Remote Desktop or share files with that box via any of my devices. I have tried all the usual stuff - Connect As, Change permissions -> no permissions, checked net connections, wifi -> wired, cleared nvram blah blah. Everything anybody has mentioned I have done.



At this point, I am ready to move to SL but just for the sake of knowing what could ever go wrong, I wanted to figure this out. Any help is appreciated.




Thanks.



Update: So as it turns out, I can use Screens (iPad app for VNC) to access my mini's desktop. But I can't seem to get it going on my SL machines yet. I tested my SL macbook to remote control other boxes & it works flawlessly.



ScreensScreenshot


Answer



1) Look in System Preferences/Sharing.
2) " " " " /Security.
3) Into which disk format did you reformat the Mac mini and why?

4) What does System Profiler tell you about the network?
Regards
Paul


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...