Monday, April 30, 2018

windows - Laptop's disk usage is always 100% and freezes after few seconds

I have Acer 5755G laptop with following spec:
4GB RAM
750 GB WD HDD
Intel i5 2nd Gen
Windows 8.1 Update 1 64 bit



Laptop is 2 years old.




Previously I had Windows 7 64 bit OEM version.



Previously when I had windows 7 the same problem occurred several times. I would simply reinstall the windows. For 2 months it will work fine and later the disk usage will shoot up to 100% again. Recently I formatter my laptop and installed Windows 8.1 Update 1 64 bit. For the first few months it worked fine and again the problem starts.



The laptop is mainly used for:




  1. Browsing internet using Google chrome

  2. Later having doubt on Google Chrome moved onto IE

  3. Using Word


  4. Watching SD videos and sometimes HD videos



The following troubleshooting methods were followed:




  1. Completely disabling the process "SuperFetch"

  2. Completely disabling the process "BITS"

  3. Completely disabling the process "Windows Search"

  4. Disabling automatic windows update


  5. Disabling the Windows defender

  6. Regularly do disk clean-up



Doing the above steps didn't help my laptop to improve the health. I refreshed the windows completely using the recovery option in the PC setting. Didn't help.



So now I have completely formatted my C drive and again installed Windows 8.1 Update 1. Now it is working fine. I am sure that after 2 months the same problem will start.



My hard disk health good. Did disk scan on all my drives. Doesn't show any errors.




Is there is any permanent solution to solve this problem? Or replacing my HDD with a new one will resolve it?



Edit 1: List of softwares I use install all the time:
List of softwares



**Edit 2: I have performed Short DST test using Seatools by Seagate. It shows the Short DST failed. But as of now my laptop is working fine. So the 100% disk usage is due to this? Should I replace my HDD?



Short DST failed

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...