Tuesday, April 24, 2018

windows 7 - How to run game that needs administrator privilege as a standard user?


I have a Windows 7 32 bit PC. Since my small kids use it, to prevent them from changing the Registry or anything dangerous like installing games containing malware, I've created a "Standard user" for them and kept an administrator account for me (protected with a password).



  • I also disabled many settings for them (standard user) like accessing registry editor.


  • Everything works fine but I installed a game for them "Red Alert 2"; this game needs Administrator privilege. Which mean whenever I try to open it from a standard user session it doesn't open and no message I get. Also if I right click on it and select run as administrator It asks me the credentials of Administrator's account but after entering the credentials it still doesn't work.


  • I also set it in compatibility mode, but it still doesn't work.


  • The thing that matters me is not just running this game which needs elevation from a standard user. Also I wonder Why I am asked to enter an administrator password after all the administrator wants to keep the password secret???!!!!


  • Also I need some way that I save the Admin credentials for that application in a way the standard user can run it without knowing the Admin Credentials. Thank you!



Answer



Oftentimes programs, especially games, will ask if the installation is for just one user on the system it is being installed on or for all users. If you installed the game when you had one account, then added another account later, the game might not recognize the later account as an authorized user, even with admin credentials. The way to overcome this is to resinstall the game and make sure the "all users" option is checked if it asks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...