Friday, April 20, 2018

performance - A USB keyboard in a Microserver is causing the machine to become very unresponsive

This video explains it best - Youtube Link


I have purchased a number of Microservers and have finally got around to setting the first one up.


It doesn't have a PS2 port, but, has loads of USB ports. I mainly use PS2 here and could only quickly find an old Apple Keyboard.


Anyway, I started the machine up, and it was just so slow! It took slightly over 6 minutes from turning on until it got past the BIOS. However, I noticed that the BIOS was so unresponsive and slow.


Anyway, after a while, I traced it down to the keyboard I was using! The moment I unplug, boot goes from over 6 minutes to about 10 seconds! The moment I plug it back in, it goes very slow!


I have just tested this morning with my camera that charges by USB, and, I am not seeing the same issue at all - and, I find it hard to imagine that my camera is drawing less power than a keyboard.


On this basis, I have concluded that that the keyboard is simply not compatible with the Microserver.


That being said, I have never seen this issue before in my life! I was just wondering if anyone else has seen it and/or can you recommend anything?




I have found another USB keyboard and the system works fine with that. I have tested the Apple keyboard again in the second system and the exact same thing happens. I am very worried about doing this again for testing in case it damages the machine, but, I am still curious as to why this is happening.


As far as I know, the Mac keyboard does work fine in other computers I have tested it on, but, there is just something wrong about using it with a Microserver. This makes no logical sense to me as I would expect it just to not work or similar rather than slow the machine down.


Anyway, leaving open for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...