Monday, April 23, 2018

performance - Windows 7 Loading speed


I have installed Windows 7 64-bit about two week ago. Since then everything was working alright, but yesterday Windows started to load much slower. Main delay comes while Windows logo is glowing -- it used to be around 10-15 seconds and now it's around 2 minutes.


As far as I remember, I have only installed Microsoft IntelliMouse driver recently and removed it today. Unfortunately I found out that I have switched off System Restore some time long ago, so can't even test if the problem can be fixed by restoring old version.


How can I troubleshoot the problem? Can I somehow find out what's causing the delay?


P.S. Please don't suggest to reinstall Windows. I know that will help, but reinstalling all software and settings is a pain and requires a lot of time.


Edit: I have also noticed that Windows Explorer is behaving strangely. It stopped showing icons for some files and folders and constantly hangs up (so that I have to restart it using Windows Task Manager).


Edit: Seems like the problem was that Windows went nuts completely -- slow loading was just the introduction. Later explorer started to hang up constantly, Skype conversation quality went totally bad. I couldn't even copy a file, since explorer was not working. I've reinstalled windows afterall.


Answer



You could try running the System file checker and see if it helps. Windows key + R, type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes, reboot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...