Monday, April 30, 2018

Recovery of files from a Windows failing drive

A 1TB NTFS-formatted disk on my Windows 10 machine started crapping out.



Following advice in other questions, I downloaded a System Rescue CD ISO, booted from it and ran ddrescue as suggested here to copy the data to a different drive of the same size.



The first step was running ddrescue -f -n /dev/sdd /dev/sdb rescue.log overnight.
Unfortunately, the speed keept deteriorating and after finishing 93%, ddrescue claims that completing the rest of the first pass will take 45 days. And that is not taking into account the further passes.




While I would like to get as many files as possible (intact!) from the drive, I'd rather have less files now than more in two month. Furthermore, while the recovery process is running, I cannot use my (Windows) computer for anything else.



What is the best way to recover as many files as possible within a reasonable period of time (a couple of days)? Can I "fix" the 93% copied drive to make it work in Windows? Will a regular chkdsk /f work?



I also consider trying to do a file-level copy from the failing drive, and then "topping up" from the rescued one. That way I know that the files that were successfully copied are not corrupt. Is there a utility that copies files quickly, skipping errors? I read somewhere that robocopy gets stuck on errors even with the /r:0 /w:0 switches.



Edit: Now it shows 142 days. And the failing disk no longer seems to be readable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...