Monday, April 30, 2018

How much do spin-ups wear out a hard disk drive?

On a mechanical hard disk drive, roughly (orders of magnitude) how many hours of typical continuous operation (strictly/non-inclusive between spin-up and spin-down) is one spin-up equivalent to in terms of abrasive wear?


The reason I'm asking this question is because I have an SSD and a HDD and I want to decide whether I just want to make the HDD be continuously on (if that setting is even possible).


EDIT: Ignore the following question (as hennes points out the flaw in the comments)
Further, when you hear the HDD spin up when the PC is on, will it also place the R/W-head on disk (like it does when you start up the computer) or does it just spin-up with the head already on the platters? I'm asking because the degree of abrasive wear could be higher in the case where the head is placed on the platters as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...