Saturday, April 14, 2018

Excel Personal Macro Workbook keeps getting disabled


I'm a new user to this site. I'm trying to run a VBA macro in Excel once a day at midnight using the windows task scheduler. It imports data from a .txt file that gets dropped into a folder at night, and appends that data to an existing spreadsheet. I know the macro works because I've tested it numerous times. However, each morning for the past few days, when I check to see if the macro worked, I get an error message saying:



Excel experienced serious problem with "......\personal.xlsb" add-in.
If you have seen this message multiple times, you should disable
this add-in and check to see if an update is available. Do you want
to disable this add-in ? Yes / No". I also see that both the
worksheet and the personal macro workbook attempted to open each night
and encountered an error.



Checking "No" means that the same problem/popup happens the next day. Checking "Yes" obviously disables the personal macro workbook, at which point I have to re-enable it in order to access my macros. I've already tried finding the personal macro workbook in the XLStart folder, deleting it, and then saving a new workbook with the same name (to no effect).


I've looked around already and can't seem to find an answer to this question, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot the issue with the personal macro workbook. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated. Thanks!


Answer



I tried housing the macro in the workbook being opened and it looks like it works. Because I'm having troubles still with my personal workbook being corrupted and because it opens each time an instance of Excel is triggered, I'm wondering if it's easier to just have my personal macro work be disabled, and then re-enable it when I need to access one of my saved macros. Not a perfect solution, but at least it shouldn't prevent this macro from running.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...