Friday, April 13, 2018

windows 10 - My computer won't use all usable RAM

I bought a gaming PC during last winter (https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102333) and it was working very well the first couple months.



I'm not sure if it's when I wanted to start streaming on Twitch a bit, but my RAM started acting weird. Whenever I would use around 60% memory, the whole computer would start freezing and telling me that it doesn't have enough memory to run an application (For instance, Overwatch wouldnt launch without encounterring this error).



So, the problem is: My computer has 16Go RAM, but won't use more than 60-65%.



What I've tried:





  • I tested each RAM module individually to see if there was one faulty, but they both seemed OK (PC detects it, and I can use the memory without having anything crash)

  • I ran a memory test (https://hcidesign.com/memtest/), and used the maximum memory I could.

  • I checked if my drivers were up to date (not sure if can have an impact)

  • Ran virus/malware scan



Additionnal information : Sometimes, it will be worse, and by that I mean that I only have Google Chrome opened, and my computer will shut it down because it doesn't have enough memory (especially since the latest Chrome update). When I just remove / put the RAM back in its place, it will sometimes go back to the "usual" 60-65% RAM limit.



Anyone has an idea of what I can do to fix this problem?




I don't want to take it to the repairman just yet because I need my computer for my studies too (not just gaming!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...