Friday, April 20, 2018

windows 7 - Reduce "Metafile" memory usage?

My work computer (Windows 7 64-bit) spends a lot of time swapping memory when I switch between programs. This surprises me since I have 4 GB of RAM, and the programs I use aren't particularly RAM hungry (Outlook, Emacs, p4win, Firefox, various build tools). I downloaded RAMMap, and it shows over a gigabyte of memory used by "Metafile".


From the Sysinternals blog:



Metafile is part of the
system cache and consists of NTFS
metadata. NTFS metadata includes the
MFT as well as the other various NTFS
metadata files. ... In the MFT each file
attribute record takes 1k and each
file has at least one attribute
record. Add to this the other NTFS
metadata files and you can see why the
Metafile category can grow quite large
on servers with lots of files.



So I understand what the "Metafile" data is... I work on large builds comprising hundreds of thousands of files (none are that big, but they add up to several gigabytes). My question is how can I reduce the amount of memory used by "Metafile"? I'm not actively using all those files at once, so why does Windows need to keep info in RAM? Restarting my machine every time I sync a new build is really annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...