Friday, March 9, 2018

windows xp - XP, how can I copy permissions from one partition to another, had no permssions and getting access denied trying to fix?


For some reason, I'm not sure why, I have no permissions in the security tab/advanced tab for one partition. I'm trying to add them back by copying them manually from another partition.


However when I try to replace permissions entries on some files it says access denied, then I have to click continue.


I haven't much clue what this is all about, but I'd like to fix this as some folders in my partition aren't accessible in shares from other machines.


Answer



Sign in as an administrator, browse to the root of the partition, on each folder in there you will have to right click and select properties, browse to the security tab, click advanced on the bottom. While in the advanced settings browse to the owner tab, select your account from the list and tick the check box to apply to sub folders. It will look like this:


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...