Monday, March 12, 2018

Windows 10 1511 Explorer Freezing

I updated my Windows 10 installation to 1511. Shortly after, I experienced the following for the first time:




First, a popup alert from the Notification Center will appear and not disappear. On mouser over the X to close it will not appear. Sometimes, you can click on the Notification Center Icon in the taskbar, and the notification will go away. But the next thing is that the Notification Center will not slide out, whatever happens.



A few minutes after this happens, the task bar will jam up completely, and the start menu will not open (not by the button or the key). Alt+Tab will not work, or Win+Tab, so as soon as you've minimized a window you have "lost" it.



The only way to fix this is to restart explorer.exe but I'm getting tired of doing it almost every two hours.



I know it's not my computer - as in lack of processing power, because my laptop has a quad core i7, and 16gb of ram, and I can be happily running Photoshop and Illustrator when this happens - CPU around 30% and RAM 60%. I can also only have a couple of tabs in Chrome open and it happens.



Is there a fix? I'm 90% sure I'm fully up to date with the updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...