Friday, March 30, 2018

windows 7 - Users and Groups management on 7 Home Premium






I recently upgraded my home PC from Windows XP Pro, to Windows 7 Home Premium.


Since Local Users and Groups is blocked on Home Premium, I can't figure out how to manage groups, or even do anything even slightly advanced to users (basically, create/group/picture is it). Net localgroup, net users, net etc, doesn't seem to work - getting "system error 5".


While I'm on the topic, I cant activate (what was once) "Local Security Policy"...


Looking for any help, advice, or even a new direction because things are different in Windows 7.




To clarify, I'm looking to do some of the following, which were simply back in XP-land:



  • remote user only (i.e. no local logon)

  • Grant special privileges for specific user

  • grant access to e.g. C$ share for specific remote user

  • create custom groups for users, to be able to separate privileges of say, my wife's from my kids

  • define quite specifically what each user can do (beyond just standard users)

  • Harden OS (hmm, I guess maybe what I'm looking for is a security hardening guide for 7?)


Answer



I am able to use net commands on windows 7 home premium and I do not get system error 5. Have you tried running cmd as administrator and then typing the net commands?


A registry reference might also help you http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms815238.aspx


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...