Sunday, March 25, 2018

Can't disable Windows Defender using group policy and registry

I wish to disable Windows Defender on my fresh Windows 10 install. I know I have to enable the policy Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus in


Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus


That didn't seem to work; Windows Defender remained active with its green checkmark along with all its modules.


I then googled some more and saw I could disable it using the registry. I tried to add a new key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender called DisableAntiSpyware with a value of 1 and I got an error



Error while renaming



I restarted my PC several times, turned it off, unplugged it, to no avail. Windows 10 edition is Pro, and I have done this in the past, so I don't understand why this isn't working now.


Has Microsoft changed something in the latest release that prevents users from turning Windows Defender off?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...