Monday, March 12, 2018

How to forcibly remove a driver from Windows 7?

I'm trying to connect an older phone to my PC, but it keeps assuming it should use drivers for a different model of that phone. I need to forcibly remove the phone's driver from Windows 7 as my device keeps installing incorrectly. Uninstalling it in the Device Manager and then "Have Disk' installation of the right driver doesn't help.


I find the name of the offending driver by running:


pnputil -e

However, when I try to remove it with:


pnputil -d oemXX.inf

One of the offenders says:


Deleting the driver package failed :The specified file is not an installed OEM INF.

Why does the system claim that the file is not an installed OEM INF even though I got its name from the system itself? Is there any way I can get rid of the offending driver?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...