Friday, March 9, 2018

windows 7 - SMART test hard disk


I'm trying to understand if my disk has some problems or not.
I have a Western Digital wdc wd10eads-00m2b0 that sometimes crashes. Fortunally is not my primary drive, is just for storage but happen that Windows dismount it and I need to reboot to make it work, maybe moving a little bit the SATA cable. I was thinking that these crashes are due to the cable because have some turns and it's quite rigid, but then I tried with some tests.


First I checked with Defraggler, in the INFO window and there are no warnings there.


Then I tried with the trial version of HD Tune Pro Drive and it gave me two warnings
screenshot
so I launched a Scan Disk from the property first and from CMD later, but both don't find any problems.


To confirm it I used the WD tool Lifeguard Diagnostic, but here there are no warnings
screenshot


At this point I'm trying with EaseUS Partition Master. It is completing the superficial test, but it's at 95% and it didn't find anything.


What is it your response for my HDD? Is it working or not? 3 out of 4 tests are passed, just HD Tune Drive gives me warnings.


EDIT


Using GSmartControl i found this and errors screenshot


Answer



TL;DR
Its time to replace the drive. its not trustworthy anymore.


Long answer:
your disk has bad blocks/sectors that have not been reallocated yet (current pending sectors), and your disk crashes are likely related to the failures that accompany reading one of them. Running chkdsk \R will attempt to remap (reallocate) them to another location, which may solve that immediate problem (or it may run your disk to death). This will show in your smart stats by the Current Pending Sectors returning to 0 and the Reallocated sector count increasing to 18.


Bad sectors tend to grow at an exponential rate. once you have more than a couple of them, its time to backup your data and replace the disk.


I do not recommend you use utilities like defragmentation tools on a drive in this state. They cause lots of moves between sectors, and you may need all the remaining life the disk has to copy your data off it. just the process of copying the files to another disk will automatically defragment them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...