Friday, March 16, 2018

hardware failure - Has CPU or Motherboard failed?


After I had shut down my computer and unplugged it to clean my desk I hooked everything back up to find that it would not turn on. The PSU, fans, or lights do nothing when I hit the power button. The green power light on the motherboard is on and devices with lights turn on with the computer off as well.


I know it is not the PSU because when plugged into my brothers computer it will start.


Have tried:
Resting CMOS
Changing plugs
checking all cords, and re checking all cords
WAS not even bumped when I moved it
Removing GFX cards
No damage can be seen on motherboard


Additonal INFO:
This happened a few days ago but I waited an 10 min and it turned on again
I built the whole computer from scratch.
AMD Phenom, 750W, 4GB RAM, 2 250GTS GFX


So, without any spare parts how do I tell if my CPU has failed or my motherboard?


Answer



You really can't without more parts to test with, but the odds are very much on the motherboard. Not that someone else may have seen more go, but I have only seen one CPU actually go bad in 17 years. I have seen PLENTY of motherboards die though.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...