Monday, March 19, 2018

backup - How Good RAID is in Protecting Us from Data Loss?


I tried RAID before, because the idea that two hard disks mirror to each other, and thus prevent data loss in the event of bad sectors is appealing. But I discovered that once a hard disk went off, another would also go off, rendering the RAID useless.


How useful RAID is, in preventing data loss?


Answer




But I discovered that once a hard disk
went off, another would also go off,
rendering the RAID useless.



this is only valid for striped or spanned volumes. mirrored volumes are a different ballgame.


the various RAID levels are explained here.


and of course, RAID 1 is just another safety layer, not a substitute for a decent backup startegy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...