Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Windows 8 upgrade offer: will I be able to format or forced to upgrade?











I'm considering buying Windows 8 Pro with Upgrade offer. I'm currently using Windows 7.



My question is very simple: Will the installation DVD to be downloaded be able to install Windows 8 from scratch or does it need Windows 7 to be installed?




I'm asking this because I will eventually format my computer and I prefer installing an OS from scratch rather from an existing installation.


Answer



You can still use the Clean Install trick from Windows 7 in Windows 8:




  • Install Windows 8 with your key

  • Open regedit.exe with Start Menu Search and navigate to:



    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/


  • change the value MediaBootInstall from "1" to "0"



  • run slgmr.vbs -rearm and reboot

  • activate Windows 8.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...