Wednesday, November 15, 2017

windows 10 - Safe way to verify that a Microsoft ISO has not been tampered with

I'd like to make sure an ISO (disc image) I have for a Microsoft Windows 10 OS is genuine. The way I usually do this with any file is by computing a hash of the file and comparing the result to the expected hash (typically provided by the software publisher).


The right resource would list the official ISO names along with that file's correct hash. For instance:


File: en-gb_windows_10_enterprise_2016_ltsb_n_x64_dvd_9058303.iso
SHA1: 0629BF04AA2A61E125EE6EDDF917DB471DCB8535

Something like this, but it would come directly from a Microsoft site. I do not wish to have to create a Microsoft account just to see the correct hash (eg. the hash is shown on the official download pages, but you need to have an account to get there). Any leads?


PS: By the way, if it helps anyone, I use the tiny MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility to compute hashes

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...