Wednesday, November 8, 2017

What kind of 3 pin fan connector is this, and where can I buy one?


I have a Cyberpower UPS with a very noisy 80mm fan, so I want to replace the fan with a quieter one. I bought a well-reviewed fan from Noctua, but the 3 pin connector doesn't quite fit. I didn't realize there were two standards for 3 pin fan connectors. So what is this connector called, and where can I buy an adapter or a fan that uses it?


The original fan from Cyberpower is labeled PSAD18025BH, and spec sheet is here:
http://www.nstech.wtools.com.tw/PDF/ns26_PS8025.pdf


The connector with the yellow glue is from Cyberpower, the other one is Noctua.


EDIT: I realized the two connectors don't have the same pinout. Standard order is gnd, +12v, tachometer.
This connector order is gnd, RD signal, +12v.
Before I physically mod anything, I'd like to know what happens if I swap the RD and hot wires, shave off the plastic, and plug this in. Apparently RD signals when the motor is locked, but a tach should do a similar thing by reporting 0rpm...?


top view


side view


Answer



That's a JST XH 2.5mm connector. Digikey 455-2219-ND, pins are Digikey 455-1135-1-ND. You can crimp it with an Engineer PA-09 hand crimper. I just had to solve the same issue replacing a power supply fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...