Monday, November 13, 2017

On Windows 7, how can I retrieve/set system (not administrator) password?

Ok, so I know on many unix variants, you can set up a root / admin user, a standard user, etc. And by default sometimes on some distros of Linux the 'root' superuser is known to have a default password. For example (example only) on an Oracle Linux distro the default password could be just 'oracle'.


Now on the Windows side, I'm trying to get into the system account as apparently access is being denied even running things as 'Administrator' on the computer, like regedit, can still deny me access.


I notice in task scheduler and a few other areas, there seems to be some special or encrypted password for the 'LocalService' & 'NetworkService' users, that by Microsoft were programmed to do things like start the task scheduler, run background processes, etc. So if there's a way to find out the default passwords used for these accounts, that would offer a lot of help. If not able to just de-encrpyt them, then I'll reset them if anything.


Either way, is there a default system password for Windows? I essentially need super-user access to my local machine so if there's any way you can, I'd appreciate it.


P.S. I know in the past there were some exploits I used to take advantage of (for my own use) in Windows on my machine to run things at a higher privilege level. On Windows XP, killing explorer through task manager, then starting it again via schedtasks due to a security hole that allowed this, etc.


So if at all, (and this is for my machine only, I'm not trying to do this on someone else's machine) I need to gain access to the (a?) superuser account on the machine. My best bet at this point would be to use LocalService, or SYSTEM, as it'd be far powerful enough to get the stuff I need to do done.


Thanks for your help!


Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...