Sunday, November 12, 2017

formatting - Cannot delete files on ExFat flash drive without running chkdsk


When I go to delete/create/modify a file from a flash drive that is formatted with ExFat when Windows says the drive needs to be checked for errors, I cannot delete any files.


Why can't I delete/create/modify without using chkdsk first on ExFat, yet I can on NTFS and FAT32? How can I get around this as some computers I use don't allow us to access chkdsk or even the Safely Eject taskbar icon?


Answer



Open an elevated Command Prompt and run:


fsutil dirty query X:


Where X: is the drive letter of the flash drive.


If it is 'dirty', then you have only 2 options - either you run the chkdsk or you save your files and reformat the flash drive.


Another (theoretical) option is to clear the dirty bit with a hex editor. But that is pretty tricky and I have not yet seen a solution for exFat - only for NTFS, Fat32 and Fat16.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...