Friday, November 10, 2017

networking - How to block all applications from accessing a connection in Windows 7 firewall?

I consider myself quite tech-savy but this one gives me real pain.



I've connected to VPN through PPTP and I'm attempting to set up firewall rules to block any application from using it. Essentially, I want this working on a white-list basis, and leave my primary local connection for general use. Local connection is listed as private network and VPN as public. So in Windows Firewall, advanced settings, I set up one rule for inbound and one for outbound connections, both using similar settings:




  • all programs


  • all ports & protocols

  • all IP addresses

  • block connection

  • public profile

  • from "Advanced" tab in rule editing window, I mark "remote access" interfaces.



This doesn't work - my applications can still connect through VPN. In fact, any combination of profile and interfaces settings either don't do anything, or blocks both local and VPN connection. What should I do in order to get this done?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...