Wednesday, November 15, 2017

hard drive - What's the fastest way to process files given a SSD and a HDD?


I have some huge files that I have to parse to produce even bigger files, and 2 discs in my machine, one SSD and one HDD.


I was wondering what would be the fastest way to process those files : I guess it would be best to read from one disk and to write on the other, but would you rather read from SSD or HDD ?
Or maybe since SSD is faster, it could be best to do everything on it ?


I am looking not only for advice for this particular case, but also for any kind of file processing activity where you intensively read AND write to disk, like compressing files, converting video, etc.


Answer



In general, SDD have a better performance about the reading part of your process than the HDD. And, in general, your SDD might have be used before, so there might not be enough "clean areas" to be written without having to perform some kind of erase first.


If you can't test to see which combination is faster, try reading from SDD and writing to HDD.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...