Friday, November 10, 2017

login - Windows 10 Simple PIN


One login feature of Windows 10 is that it allows you to log in with a PIN instead of with your password. This is especially useful for those of us who have complex Microsoft Account passwords but just want to discourage casual laptop use by other people in the home/office.


While the PIN defaults to be numbers only, the Windows 10 Preview builds had a checkbox to turn off "Simple PIN" mode and allow the use of letters and symbols in the PIN. In the preview builds, I used this feature.


I can't seem to find this checkbox in the Windows 10 release. Did they move it somewhere else, or remove it entirely?


My Windows 10 testing Virtual Machine, which already had a complex PIN (with letters) set when the Preview was installed is continuing to use that PIN now that it has upgraded to the full version. However, on my laptop which has been upgraded from Windows 8.1, I can't seem to set it.


Answer



This feature has now be added back to Windows 10 (not sure exactly when, but it is definitely in 1803 / build 17134).


PIN screen showing complex PIN option


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...