Wednesday, November 8, 2017

installation - Changing default Java Runtime Environment from 1.8 to 1.7

I'm currently trying to change the default JRE on my computer from 8 to 7.


I was attempting to fix a glitch involving the game Minecraft by updating to the JRE8 beta build, but it seems like that installer was corrupted and stopped midway before crashing. Now, whenever I try to launch any Java related program, it keeps on pointing to JRE8 even though it's installed. I attempted to reinstall it but the launcher doesn't seem to launch anymore even after I redownloaded it and tried several other builds.


I applied a temporary band-aid fix by either copying my JRE7 folder, pasting it, and renaming it to JRE8. Or I can also go into the registry and change the 1.8.0 registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0) to point to the JRE7 folder instead of the JRE8 folder. If none of these two "fixes" are applied, I get a Launch4j error when I attempt to launch anything Java related:


enter image description here


How can I fix this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...