Tuesday, November 7, 2017

performance - Computer temporarily unresponsive at start-up after June Windows Update


I've noticed that since I installed the monthly Windows XP Updates on Tue 14 June 2011, my PC is temporarily unresponsive on start-up, say for a minute or two. Afterwards, the problem goes away (until the next reboot). For example, if I double-click the Firefox icon just after start-up it takes around 45 seconds before the main Firefox window appears! If I try it a few minutes later though, it opens in just a second or two.


I remember I had this problem before and I put it down to the .NET Framework assembly process after installing Windows Updates. However, that issue resolved itself after a few days. This time the issue is still persisting after over a week.


I'm using XP Home, with SP 3. As a precaution, I have done a virus/spyware scan and all is reported clear.


Any ideas what is likely to be causing this and how to resolve?


Answer



Well the issue appears to have been resolved (I no longer get delays when starting applications after booting-up). I'm not 100% sure how this was resolved, but I suspect it to be one (or both) of the following:


1) The issue resolved itself over time (after about a week and a half of the original Windows Updates).


2) I had temporarily disabled Windows Defender and later re-enabled, as I had suspected it may be caused by MsMpEng.exe.


No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...