Friday, November 10, 2017

Windows 7: service pack already installed... or not

I have Windows 7 Ultimate, with SP1 installed... or so I think. What I mean is that, when I go to "Start / Computer" and right-click and choose "Properties", what I get is "Windows 7 Ultimate. (C) Microsoft Corporation etc., etc. Service Pack 1"...


...And yet, when I go to Windows Update, I see that one of the available updates I have is a "Service pack 1" (KB976932). I install it, and it works... but it doesn't ask me to reboot my computer, and the next time I check Windows Update, the SP1 update is still there.


EDIT: I executed "winver.exe" and what I got was: "Microsoft Windows Version 6.1 (compilation 7600; Service Pack 1)". I should also mention that I discovered this when I tried to upgrade to IE 11 (which requires SP1) and the installer failed.


So... do I have SP1 installed or not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

hard drive - Leaving bad sectors in unformatted partition?

Laptop was acting really weird, and copy and seek times were really slow, so I decided to scan the hard drive surface. I have a couple hundr...